There used to be this amazing restaurant in Guelph called the Carden Street Cafe, where I first got hooked on a soup like this. It was so creamy, spicy and full of flavour. It was the inspiration for this tried and true soup.
Curried Sweet Potato Soup with Spinach
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (I use Authentic Guyanese Curry Powder- it’s a great price and taste)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (this will be hot, feel free to use less or substitute paprika)
- 1 tablespoon oil (olive for a mild flavour or sesame for a deeper flavour)
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 3 cups broth, vegetable or chicken broth, preferably home made
- 1 cup spinach, chiffonade
- Heat oil and saute onions over medium hight until just before translucent.
- Reduce to medium and add garlic for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in curry, cayenne and sweet potatoes and stir until potatoes are coated in curry powder.
- Add broth salt and pepper, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Let cook fro 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are flaky.
- Remove from heat and blend soup with an immersion blender or add it to your blender in small batches (watch out, it’s hot). I like there to be some chunks of sweet potato in the soup so I don’t purée it all.
- Return to low- medium heat and add in coconut milk spinach. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy this belly warming soup!